building applications stored in an "apps" subfolder

OJ Reeves oj at buffered.io
Fri Oct 8 06:42:54 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

I'm working on an system which is made up, so far, of two Erlang
applications which in turn talk to Riak. When I first set this up, I had
app1 specify app2 as a dependency and I could build app1 with rebar without
any problems.

I thought it'd be a better idea to move the applications into an "apps"
subfolder and try and get rebar to build each application individually from
the top level. My folder structure would look like this:

/myapp
   rebar
   rebar.config
   Makefile
   /apps
      /app1
         /src
         /ebin
         Makefile
      /app2
         /src
         /ebin
         Makefile

This may come as no surprise, but running make (which is just a straight
rebar compile) doesn't result in much happening :)

I have two questions:

   1. Is it a good idea to move individual applications into their own
   folder inside an apps subfolder like I have shown above? Is that what Erlang
   projects do in general? Should I have left it as I had it before where the
   top level application because the compile entry-point for the entire system?
   2. If this is the right approach, how do I get rebar to build each of the
   applications in the "apps" folder individually as if I had called make from
   their respective directories?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers all!
OJ