map/reduce in none-erlang?

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 03:24:39 EST 2009

Hello,

[Newbie warning]

I'm still trying to get my head around Riak/Jiak, Erlang and what can
be done with map/reduce.

I'm reading the example at
http://github.com/zeitgeist/riak/raw/a219994a3bfd4b2bc6479996fc7c3a09468442c3/doc/basic-mapreduce.txt
and was wondering:

1. do I HAVE to use Erlang to implement this or can I link code from
other languages?
2. where does this code have to be installed? Is it part of the Riak
client like in the example?
3. Where does it get executed? Is it some Erlang magic that gets it
distribute execution on multiple computers?
4. Does it make sense to use Riak only as a distributed key/value data
store for very large data sets, without taking advantage of map/reduce
(because our core code base is in C++)?
5. Am I correct to understand that map/reduce cannot be implemented on
top of the HTTP interface Riak provides (or at least it'll miss the
performance boost if implemented that way)?

Any pointers to more elaborate map/reduce examples or documents which
can help me learn more, possibly using other languages, would be
appreciated. I think I pretty much covered the web site for
introductory level docs.

Thanks very much.

Cheers,

--Amos