Riak 0.7 Released

Bryan Fink bryan at basho.com
Wed Dec 23 15:21:13 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 2:25 PM, David Pratt <fairwinds.dp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Andy. This looks good. I am interested in Riak and have seeking some
> basic recommendations for hardware. I am hoping for a reply so I can
> consider a development and production setup.
> http://lists.basho.com/pipermail/riak-users_lists.basho.com/2009-December/000253.html
> Many thanks.
> Regards,
> David

Hi David,

Riak runs on all sorts of hardware.  Which is best for you will
depend heavily on your application and its usage patterns.

Just about anything that can run Erlang R13B03 will work, but a
good default is some variety of Linux on x86 hardware.  The
faster the disk and the more RAM, the better.  Mac OS works great
for development, but likely won't be your best bet in production.
Windows is not on our support radar.

We have little experience with utilizing multiple disks per
machine.  We see much potential for taking advantage of such
situations (for example, possibly targetting individual vnodes at
different disks), but support for them is not built into Riak
yet.  It's a topic we'll be digging into soon.

Performance on different virtualization products varies, but in
general it's a good idea to avoid it.  Many of them introduce
large latencies in disk access, which really dings performance.
That's not to say that it doesn't work.  It's also not to say
that you should avoid it.  Just, you won't get the absolute best
performance form such a system.

-Bryan