riak 0.7 build fails on ubuntu

David Smith dizzyd at basho.com
Mon Dec 28 16:32:27 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 2:00 PM, Andrei Dziahel <trickster2k4 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Ok, how to reproduce %subj%.
> First you need an ubuntu box (9.10, in my case).
> Second - Erlang r13b3 (can be taken in this PPA)
> Third - riak sources
>
> Let's follow the manual:
>>
>> $ make all rel
>> ./rebar compile
>> ==> mochiweb (compile)
>> ==> webmachine (compile)
>> ==> riak (compile)
>> ./rebar compile generate
>> ==> mochiweb (compile)
>> ==> webmachine (compile)
>> ==> riak (compile)
>> ==> rel (generate)
>> ERROR: Unable to generate spec: read file info
>> /usr/lib/erlang/man/man5/modprobe.d.5 failed

At first glance this appears to be a problem with how erlang is
packaged. I'm guessing that the erlang package symlinks man ->
/usr/lib/erlang/man which causes reltool to blow up, since it tries to
scan that symlink and has insufficient perms to do so. Unfortunately,
there's not much we (Riak team) can do about that. I suggest (as
interim fix) that you remove the symlink that is in
/usr/lib/erlang/man and try again. If that fixes the problem, file a
bug with the person who packaged erlang. :)

Hope that helps,

D.