Replica distribution across instances

Jonathan Lee jonathan_lee at comcast.com
Thu Nov 12 10:30:57 EST 2009

Hello,

I am just starting to explore Riak, so please bear with me if I'm
asking an obvious question: does anyone have a good method of
guaranteeing that replicas are placed across multiple Riak instances?

>From what I understand, the suggested configuration is to have
ring_creation_size > # instances to allow for expansion.  However,
riak_claim:default_choose_claim/1 claims partitions at random, so
there is no guarantee that N neighboring partitions are not claimed by
the same instance.  If that node then fails, data is lost.  Have I
missed something here?

Thanks,
Jonathan Lee