Writes with the dets storage backend

Bryan Fink bryan at basho.com
Fri Nov 20 13:55:50 EST 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Harish Mallipeddi
<harish.mallipeddi at gmail.com> wrote:
> I used a 3-node cluster (3 physical nodes). I used the Python client library
> (jiak.py) - the client was running on all the 3 nodes and pumping writes by
> talking to the local Riak node (localhost as the co-ordinator for requests).
> I only got something like ~100 writes/sec out of this setup (used the
> defaults - N=3, R=2, W=2; all keys were written to the same bucket; size of
> each value is ~10KB). The clients were multi-threaded; disk-utilization
> (%util from iostat) was pretty high (close to 100%) on all the 3 nodes for
> the disk serving as the dets-store. So I'm thinking I've already pushed it
> to the maximum. Maybe I did something else wrong.

Hi, Harish.  100 writes/sec is definitely abnormal.  I've seen better
than an order of magnitude higher than that with just my laptop (as
well as with multiple physical nodes).

Would you mind pasting your riak config files ("config/riak.erlenv" or
whatever you named them) for each of those nodes?  We may be able to
spot a parameter you could tweak, or it could set us on our way to
improving some other piece.

Thanks,
Bryan