Hardware Recommendations

Justin Sheehy justin at basho.com
Mon Nov 30 09:02:14 EST 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Brad Pinter <brad.pinter at cdw.com> wrote:

> As I start to investigate Riak, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a
> (per node) hardware configuration?

I don't have a specific hardware configuration to recommend.  We've
used it on varying hardware, and have found a frequent sweet spot in
typical generic medium-grade rackmount linux machines.  The bang/buck
ratio on exact hardware for such things changes often.  For a very
specific use and time, we could help people to determine what they
need, but the general case is so open-ended that I'm loath to point at
a detailed config.

> Also, has anyone experimented with Riak in a virtualized environment (e.g.
> VMware)?  If so, your comments/suggestions are also most welcome.

Several of us have run it in VMWare and also on Amazon's EC2.  Both of
those environments can work fine in terms of functionality, but it is
sometimes the case that virtual environments perform poorly in I/O
compared to actual hosts.  For this reason, most database-like
software will be likely to perform less well -- the exact amount you
will suffer this penalty obviously depends on the environment.

I hope that is helpful.

-Justin