how rebalance riak nodes.

Justin Sheehy justin at basho.com
Wed Oct 21 19:43:52 EDT 2009

Hi Benoît,

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm just reading the doc for now. Like I read it you first start a
> node on an ip/hostname then announce other to this ip/hostname. But
> what happend when first node hang ? Do you put each nodes behind the
> same ip ?

That depends on what perspective you mean.  From the ring's point of
view, a down node is no big deal due to N-values and hinted-handoff.

If you mean from a client's point of view, you have multiple options.
You can either give multiple entry nodes to your application code for
it to try, or you can put all of the HTTP ip/ports of the cluster
behind a typical IP availability system, whether an appliance or
software like wackamole.

-Justin