could_not_reach_node on Mac OS X 10.5

Justin Sheehy justin at basho.com
Thu Oct 8 16:55:40 EDT 2009

Something in your local Erlang build or otherwise on your machine is
very strange:

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 11:36 AM, Brian Hammond <brian at brianhammond.com> wrote:

> $ erl --version
> Erlang R13B02 (erts-5.7.3) [source] [smp:2:2] [rq:2] [async-threads:0]
> [kernel-poll:false]
> hello there
> Eshell V5.7.3  (abort with ^G)
> 1>
>
> (side note: whenever erl is invoked, "hello there" is printed; strange).

As Dan pointed out, this is your whole problem.

How did you install Erlang?  I am curious as to what boot file or
other initial setup you have that is causing that output on each node
start, as it is certainly not normal expected behavior from erl.

> Next I ran ./start-fresh config/riak-demo.erlenv and verified that it was
> running (ps).
>
> 18691   ??  S      0:00.42 /usr/local/lib/erlang/erts-5.7.3/bin/beam.smp -K
> true -- -root /usr/local/lib/erlang -progname erl -- -home /Users/brian
> -heart -noshell -noinput -connect_all false -pa deps/webmachine/ebin -pa
> ebin -name hello there riakdemo at hello there 127.0.0.1 -setcookie hello there
> riak_demo_cookie -run riak start config/riak-demo.erlenv

The Riak startup scripts use the output of some invocations of erl to
determine the flags that will be passed to the actual server process,
and because your local Erlang installation is printing "hello there"
before each one it's producing a very broken final command line.

Specifically the section of the above that is:

"-name hello there riakdemo at hello there 127.0.0.1 -setcookie hello
there riak_demo_cookie"

This is causing both your nodename and your cookie to be improperly
set, so pretty much nothing will work until you get rid of the "hello
there" issue.

-Justin