Unable to have my python client connect to riak

Dhananjay Nene dhananjay.nene at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 16:20:27 EDT 2009

Justin Sheehy wrote:
> Hello Dhananjay,
>
> It looks like you're trying to connect to the doorbell port, which
> isn't what you need here.
>
> (it doesn't get used at all anymore, and in older versions was a UDP
> handshake port)
>
> You want the web port.

Thanks
> >From the riak.erlenv in the distribution, the line you care about is:
>
> %% riak_web_port is the TCP port that Riak's HTTP interface will bind to.
> {riak_web_port, 8098}.

I did that, and while it did not work with the earlier version I had
taken from the website, modifying the file in the distribution made it
work. The python client jiak.py was able to connect.

However it did run into a large number of 503 errors on the python. I am
assuming its because of the set_bucket_schema not getting called or some
default schema not getting set .. but have no clue how to resolve it :(
(I consider myself pretty competent on C++/Java/Python/Linux .. but have
no clue about erlang - so apologies for the fact that I am unable to do
more debugging beyond what I was able to do so far). Note that I did not
make any change to jiak.py except for changing the port number and
triggering the doctest mechanism by including the following lines at the
end.

if __name__ == "__main__" :
    import doctest
    doctest.testmod()