jiak client and custom buckets

Bryan Fink bryan at basho.com
Sat Oct 17 10:56:22 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 6:23 PM, Dan Reverri <reverri at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've implemented a few buckets as Erlang modules and noticed that the Erlang
> jiak client does not invoke the logic in the modules. I've been using the
> ibrowse module to query the database over HTTP and ensure the custom module
> logic is used. Is there a way to use the jiak client with custom buckets?

Hi, Dan.  Early on, an attempt was made to create an Erlang-native
interface that also invoked all of the custom module logic.  There was
something about the implementation that made things extremely awkward,
though, so the project was dropped in the interest of releasing Riak
sooner.  I can't remember exactly what the root cause of the
awkwardness was, though, so it's entirely possible that a few of our
changes since then would make it worth trying again.

For now, you've gone in the right direction, ibrowse-ing over HTTP.
In fact, at one point we had an erlang module that wrapped up exactly
those ibrowse calls.  It must have been part of an internal project,
though.  I could probably dig it up, if it would be useful to anyone.

-Bryan