Experience with python schema setting

Bryan Fink bryan at basho.com
Mon Oct 19 13:15:57 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 5:53 PM, Jay Doane <jay.s.doane at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 15, 2009, at 2:27 PM, Dhananjay Nene wrote:
>
>> I think I found the answers for the parameters and their values via the
>> documentation with the Java Client - but still not sure if set schema is
>> mandatory.
>
> Yes, I believe it is.  There must be a schema present for each bucket.  It
> can either be created via an erlang module (as in jiak_example.erl), or
> dynamically via set_bucket_schema.

Hey, just wanted to chime in, if you're not actively following the commit logs.

Up to riak-0.6, for buckets accessed over HTTP (meaning all
non-erlang-native client access), schemas were required.

However, as of Friday evening, the tip of the bitbucket repo supports
fully schema-less buckets.  Just start putting data in them: they'll
accept anything.  As this feature isn't in an official release yet,
please send feedback if there's something about it that just seems
completely wrong.

> What I wonder is if/when we will have the ability to set other bucket
> properties from the jiak clients, or if I'm missing something?

Other bucket properties haven't been exposed over HTTP only because of
lack of interest in them so far.  It would be dead-simple to patch
jiak_resource to expose n_val, or any other easily-json-representable
property.  Send a patch if there's something you'd like to see.  Have
a look at how bucket_mod is exposed to get an idea of where the patch
might fit.

-Bryan