full-writes vs. merges

Brian Hammond brian at brianhammond.com
Sun Oct 25 23:21:14 EDT 2009

Hello,

If I want to update the links associated with some stored value, I
have to first read the value, update the links, and write back the
entire value.  I'm concerned if that my data has "large" values that
this read-update-write technique will cause a fair amount of overhead.

I am wondering if there's any merit to this concern in practice.  I
suppose the answer is dependent on one's definition of large, network
configuration, etc.  Anyway, perhaps you guys can keep it in the back
of your head that perhaps CRUD operations on links might be useful.

More generically, perhaps some form of "JSON object *merging*" would
be in order.

Thoughts?
Brian