avoid records?

Dave Smith dave.smith.to at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 09:25:48 EDT 2010

I concur.  Whether you store associative arrays or tuples,  your application
needs to have a complete understanding of data in all the forms it can
take.  Versioned record definitions seems the best approach to me.

The associative array approach may seem like a good idea,  and it may be the
best approach for small applications with few developers, but in the long
term in applications where there is large teams and developer turnover, the
version record approach will make code more readable.

It also has the virtue of causing "early failures";  this is a virtue hard
learned by most developers, but it is a truism that bugs are easier to find
and fix if data is verified early.

--DS