propagation of bucket properties to new nodes

Dan Reverri dan at
Wed Aug 25 18:15:57 EDT 2010

Hi David,

Alexander is correct, bucket properties are gossiped across the cluster. If
the backend property has been set for a bucket, any new nodes added to the
cluster will learn about that backend setting.

A few notes about multi backend:
1. I found a couple of issues with the current multi backend functionality:
Nodes don't store data if a backend is not defined on the node:

Nodes can't find data if the backend property of a bucket is changed after
adding data:

Until these issues are fixed I would suggest:
1. Define a consistent "multi_backend" configuration in all nodes
2. Do not change the "backend" property of a bucket once set

I also filed a feature request proposing an alternate method for managing
multiple backends, you can remove this request here:

Daniel Reverri
Developer Advocate
Basho Technologies, Inc.
dan at