Simple map/reduce gives {"error":"timeout"}

Kevin Smith ksmith at basho.com
Thu Feb 11 15:15:39 EST 2010

Marten -

When Riak starts up do you see any output like this:

=INFO REPORT==== 11-Feb-2010::13:59:33 ===
Spidermonkey VM host starting (<0.94.0>)

=INFO REPORT==== 11-Feb-2010::13:59:33 ===
Spidermonkey VM host starting (<0.96.0>)

If not, you'll see timeouts because there aren't any Javascript VMs for Riak to use.

This actually bit me today during some benchmarking. I had screwed up my app.config file and no Javascript VMs started up.

Of course, the error message for this case should be much better and I'll be fixing that before the end of today.

--Kevin