Some Missing Features

Justin Sheehy justin at basho.com
Wed Feb 3 21:08:07 EST 2010

Hello, Sam.

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 8:02 PM, Madireddy Samuel Vijaykumar
<mad.vijay at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was going through this http://basho.com/enterpriseds.html and you seem to
> say that "Masterless multi-site replication " is not available in the
> opensource/community edition. Could some please elaborate what that actually
> means?

I'd be happy to.

The Riak core (open source) is designed for clusters of servers that
are all reasonably  close to each other, with predictable and similar
latency of communication.  Riak Enterprise also includes long-haul
cluster-to-cluster bidirectional replication.  This uses a different
means of communication and reconciliation than the in-cluster data
transfers, because communication across the internet is very different
from on a local network and also because the replication is an
entirely automated process, not part of the user API/request-loop.

This allows our customers to not only have Riak's high-availability
features within a cluster, but to easily get analogous
high-availability features across multiple datacenters.

-Justin