Buckets versus Documents - Limits

Jason Tanner jt4websites at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 4 10:31:29 EST 2010

Hi,

Lets say I had 100 million albums generated by 5 million artists.

This could be modelled in riak in a number of ways.

For example, having 2 buckets, one for albums, one for artists and linking
documents in the two buckets.

Alternatively, I could have a bucket per artist containing the albums they
created.

Obviously there are other ways to model this as well.

My point, is to try and identify the limitations in Riak with regards to its
design choices so that I in turn can design my stuff with that in mind.

Are there any penalties to consider when having large numbers of buckets
compared to documents in the buckets?

I read somewhere about bucket information being kept in the ringstate, and
although I didn't fully understand the implications of that I kind of
guessed it meant that perhaps having huge numbers of buckets was not a good
idea.

Is this true ? Is there a point at which having a lot of buckets would
actually penalise you in terms of performance ?

Jason