build fails - NSPR

Kevin Smith ksmith at basho.com
Sun Feb 7 09:19:10 EST 2010

Mark -

The failing component in your build is a subsystem of Riak named erlang_js. Since we support Riak on multiple platforms, some of which do not have package management, we made the decision to automate the checkout and build Spidermonkey and nspr to simplify using Riak.

However, simplifying does not mean that it works at all times for all people (if only that were the case!) Most of the problems we're seeing relate to disagreement between Spidermonkey, nspr, and Erlang on the 32/64 bit nature of the build computer. Your build errors seem to indicate this is what's happening to you, too.

Can you answer the following questions so I can help you get Riak built and running?

1) What CPU architecture are you compiling on? Normally this is x86-64 or i386.

2) Are you running a 64-bit operating system?

3) Do you have a 32 or 64 bit Erlang install? You can find this out by starting an Erlang shell and looking at the info line it prints out. For example, mine looks like this:

Erlang R13B03 (erts-5.7.4) [source] [64-bit] [smp:2:2] [rq:2] [async-threads:0] [kernel-poll:false]

--Kevin