Installing 0.8 on Mac OS X 10.6

Kevin Smith ksmith at basho.com
Tue Feb 9 14:58:44 EST 2010

To be clear, we can definitely run on 32 bit Erlang on OS X. With the introduction of Spidermonkey, the Riak build has to get 3 components to agree on the architecture of the build computer:

1) NSPR (Netscape Portable Runtime, used by Spidermonkey for threading support)
2) Spidermonkey
3) Erlang

Normally, NSPR and Spidermonkey do a mildly decent job and accurately detecting the correct arch type. AMD 64 is the one exception, AFAIK. In many cases, people have 32 bit Erlang on Snowy -- through no fault of their own -- while NSPR and Spidermonkey build 64 bit versions. The build fails when it tries to link NSPR & Spidermonkey with the 32 bit linked-in driver we use for Javascript integration.

You can persuade NSPR and Spidermonkey to build 32 bit versions of themselves on a 64 bit platform but its much easier in the long run to build a 64 bit Erlang and be done with it. Then everyone agrees by default and Riak is a happy camper.

--Kevin