How to remote load Riak onto Ubuntu 9.

Bryan Fink bryan at basho.com
Tue Feb 9 18:18:05 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Zubair Quraishi <zubairq at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to be able to remote load Riak onto Ubuntu 9 servers which come preinstalled with Erlang. Has anyone managed to do this?

The easiest deployment strategy resembling what you suggest is:

0. All nodes in your cluster are the same OS on the same architecture
1. Build Riak via 'make rel' on one of the cluster's machines
2. "Remote load" Riak by:
   2a. scp -r rel/riak newhost:/install/path/
   2b. ssh newhost
   2c. edit /install/path/riak/etc/vm.args, to change -name
   2d. /install/path/riak/bin/riak start
   2e. /install/path/riak/bin/riak-admin join riak at oldhost

Command 2a is all you need to install Riak on the remote machine.
Command 2c is needed to get the host part of the node name to line up
with the hostname of the machine you've just installed Riak on.
Command 2d starts Riak on the new machine.  Command 2e tells that new
Riak node to join the cluster you already have running by contacting
the 'riak at oldhost' node, a member of that cluster.  You will only need
command 2e the first time you start that node - the next time you
(re)start it, it will automatically join the cluster it was part of.

-Bryan