Riak 0.7.1 list_buckets times out on Mac OS X but not on Ubuntu

Bryan Fink bryan at basho.com
Thu Feb 11 15:34:03 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 5:44 AM, Zubair Quraishi <zubairq at gmail.com> wrote:
> How long would it take to implement list_buckets still showing the buckets
> when a node goes down?

It depends on what our answer is, ultimately.  There are many options
for how it should be done, and each has its own effect on the
guarantees that Riak would provide about that data.  It's something
we're looking into.

> I disagree with you where you say list_buckets is not
> used that often, as I think that list buckets is a common operation for
> DBAs, and if it stops working when Riak goes down then it should be removed
> altogether, as a dynamically scalable database shouldn't stop working when a
> machine goes down (I thought this was the whole point of being fault
> tolerant).

Rusty's phrasing was unclear.  You may want to list_buckets, but you
shouldn't do it often in a production environment, with Riak's current
implementation.  We disagree about removing it altogether right now,
because it is a very useful operation, especially when you're in
development (non-production) mode, often dealing with half-complete
sets of test data, etc.  We recognize that there is some level of
demand for a production-ready version of this operation, and we are
evaluating our options for implementing one.

> Anyway, since I am trying to make a tool to browse a Riak cluster
> how else can I get a list of the buckets, which is a common operation in my
> use case of a Riak database browser.

We've implemented quite a few in-house Riak browsers over the last
couple of years.  Many of them weren't used on production datasets, so
listing buckets was fine.  The ones that were used in production
either knew of a pre-defined list of buckets to check, or asked the
user to type in a bucket to examine.  Since buckets, in a sense,
"always exist" (the list_buckets operation just lists buckets that
currently have data in them), asking the user for a bucket to examine
isn't really that awkward of an idea.

-Bryan