Question regarding backends

Ben Browning ben324 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 10:43:06 EST 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 5:56 AM, Lev Walkin <vlm at lionet.info> wrote:
> My question is whether it is efficient if a database has, say, several
> billion objects in it. It becomes unfeasible to allow the "list keys"
> operation to exectute. Under which circumstances this function is invoked?

The list keys operation is invoked by the client and definitely won't
scale well to billions of keys. The stream_list_keys function will
scale better because it doesn't have to load the entire list of keys
into memory at once. However, looking through the code it looks like
it still loads all of a vnode's keys at once.

Documentation for both is here: http://riak.basho.com/edoc/riak_client.html

Storing lists of keys as new objects seems to work pretty well if you
need to maintain lists of keys.

Ben