Removal of Jiak

Bryan Fink bryan at basho.com
Mon Feb 22 14:22:30 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Alan McKean <alanmckean at me.com> wrote:
> I'm going to miss the read/write mask capabilities of Jiak. As Paul Rogers pointed out with his implementation POV (see the Buoy POV example at http://www.riakrest.com) it enables really nice declarations of data structures that are subsets of the data stored in Riak. Is there any notion of building that into Riak at the bucket level?

There is no current plan to reimplement read/write mask capabilities
for the HTTP interface.  We found that they added more confusion than
they added useful features.  Indeed, POV was interesting, but it was
not realistic for concurrent access by multiple actors.

We've found that one good way to get similar functionality (partial
reads & updates) is to break objects into smaller logical pieces, and
then use link-traversal to grab the pieces you want.

> The other significant feature we are losing is Jiak's ability to hook in to the lifecycle of Riak operations with bucket modules. That's not in the raw interface either, is it?

It is not yet, but it is coming.  In the very near future, either for
this release or right after, we intend to add "pre- and post-commit
hooks" to allow applications to tie in at that level.

-Bryan