Dependency on erts 5.7.4

Steve Davis steven.charles.davis at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 20:16:21 EST 2010

Hi Justin,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Justin Sheehy wrote:
> Hi, Steve.
>
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 8:14 PM, Steve Davis
> <steven.charles.davis at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I was intending to run riak on a system that is currently tied to R12.
>
> You can, as long as you use a Riak release that was built on a machine
> with R13, since that will produce an embedded node that doesn't care
> about any separately installed Erlang.

I may put some time aside to do this, or wait for the pre-build version
you mentioned.

>> Looking through the code I couldn't really see any reason, apart from the
>> use of rebar for the build, why 13B is required for riak.
>
> I'd say that the build and packaging system is more than reason
> enough, but one of the other good ones is performance.  The amount of
> performance improvement relevant to Riak from R12 to R13 is quite
> significant -- so much so that I suspect we'd constantly be advising
> people to "try it on R13" if we also supported R12.

For larger-scale/production work, I could certainly dedicate a machine.
For evaluation, as I'm sure you are aware, you generally have to take
what you're given. So the R13 requirement failed me at the first hurdle.

> In order to remove your concern entirely, we will soon be providing
> pre-built binary packages for a number of operating systems.  With
> those, there will be no external dependency on any version of Erlang
> at all, so this issue should become moot for you.
>
>> I'll be honest and say that at closer inspection, the limited use of protobuffs
>> didn't seem to justify the dependency on some third party standard
>
> I'm not sure what kind of justification is needed in choosing an
> internal message format that clients don't ever have to deal with and
> that doesn't require you to install anything external.  I am
> interested to hear what made you see this as a practical downside.

I see it as an unnecessary dependency on something 'Google', which makes
certain legal-eagles with extensive MS experience shiver in their boots
at what may happen in the future.

This may not be representative of the wider experience, but it was
certainly my own.

Regards,
Steve