Dependency on erts 5.7.4

Justin Sheehy justin at basho.com
Wed Feb 24 14:28:50 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 8:16 PM, Steve Davis
<steven.charles.davis at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'm not sure what kind of justification is needed in choosing an
>> internal message format that clients don't ever have to deal with and
>> that doesn't require you to install anything external.  I am
>> interested to hear what made you see this as a practical downside.
>
> I see it as an unnecessary dependency on something 'Google', which makes
> certain legal-eagles with extensive MS experience shiver in their boots at
> what may happen in the future.

If your lawyers are more concerned by which company designed a message
format than about the legal encumbrances (or lack thereof) on the use
of that format... then you need new lawyers.

There is absolutely nothing about the use of the protobuf format to
justify a shiver.

-Justin

p.s. - Given the depth of your concerns, you might want to reconsider
your choice of email hosting provider.