X-Riak-Vclock, unexplained errors

Ken Sedgwick ksedgwic at bonsai.com
Mon Jan 11 17:35:08 EST 2010

On 01/10/2010 05:41 AM, David Smith wrote:

> Yes, this is a timeout -- the raw_http_resource probably should be
> returning a 504 (Gateway Timeout) for this error. As best I can tell,
> this is the local riak client process timing out on a request -- it
> doesn't hear back from enough/any servers in the specified amount of
> time. How much load are you putting on the system and what backend are
> you using? DETS can get bogged down if you have a write heavy load.
>
> One of the things I'd like to do soon is put some timers on the vnode
> operations to help us identify when a backend is taking a long time to
> respond. This would help us distinguish between a slow backend and some
> other problem -- although I'd hazard a guess that 99% of the time when
> you see these timeouts, it's a slow backend.

I think timeouts make sense in this case ...

I'm using a single node with storage_backend set to riak_dets_backend.
My client is multi-threaded and generates as much load as possible.  I
think timeouts are probably a reasonable result.

I'm going to start running groups of nodes in EC2.  I'll be paying more
attention to throughput from here on ...

Thanks for the help!

Ken

--
Ken Sedgwick
Bonsai Software, Inc.
ken+5a4 at bonsai.com
Public Key: http://www.bonsai.com/ken/ken.asc
GPG Fingerprint: 851E 3B07 E586 0843 9434  5CC7 4033 3B9B 3F3F 9640