Newbie: Compile Error

Bryan Fink bryan at basho.com
Mon Jan 18 13:49:31 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 7:29 AM, Madireddy Samuel Vijaykumar
<mad.vijay at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah! you were right about the ssl depenedencies not satisfied. Now i have
> made a partially sucessful installation. Thoough when is run the admin test
> i get the following.
>
> riak2:~/riak/rel/riak# ./bin/riak-admin test
> {error_logger,{{2010,1,18},{
> 11,40,9}},"Can't set long node name!\nPlease check your configuration\n",[]}

This is likely a DNS configuration issue.  Could you please try
editing bin/riak-admin?  Near the bottom you'll find the line:

$ERTS_PATH/erl -noshell -name riak_test $COOKIE_ARG \
               -eval "riak:client_test(\"$NODE_NAME\")" -s init stop

Change that to read:

$ERTS_PATH/erl -noshell -name riak_test at 127.0.0.1 $COOKIE_ARG \
               -eval "riak:client_test(\"$NODE_NAME\")" -s init stop

That is, change the -name argument from just "riak_test" to
"riak_test at 127.0.0.1".

If this fix works for the "riak-admin test" command, it will also work
for the other riak-admin commands.  If you can confirm that this was
the cause of the error, we'll work on patching bin/riak-admin to
handle DNS configuration oddities better.

-Bryan