JSON lib for erlang

Kevin Smith ksmith at basho.com
Thu Jul 29 07:01:47 EDT 2010

mochijson2 is what I tell anyone who asks to use. Representing strings as binaries avoids a whole host of data mangling problems when you have to deal with non-ASCII or non- ISO-8859 character sets. Strings as binaries also frees up lists to be interpreted as JSON arrays. This simplifies the data representation since the only annotation you have to provide is on hashes aka structs:

{struct, [{username, <<"jdoe">>}, {first_name, <<"John">>}, {last_name, <<"Doe">>}]}

translates to:

{"username": "jdoe",
 "first_name": "John",
 "last_name": "Doe"}

mochijson requires, if I remember correctly, annotations for both arrays and structs which is more "noisy" when you're doing lots of encoding and decoding.

--Kevin