Riak Recap for 6/30 - 7/1

Mark Phillips mark at basho.com
Fri Jul 2 10:52:36 EDT 2010

Morning, Afternoon, and Evening to all,

For today's recap: a few updated Riak clients, an announcement about
an upcoming webinar, a Gist, and some Q and A from #riak.

Have a great weekend!

Mark

Community Manager
Basho Technologies
wiki.basho.com
twitter.com/pharkmillups

-----

Riak Recap for 6/30 - 7/1

1) Fracnk Cuny released the 0.5 version of his Net-Riak Client.

Latest code here ---> http://search.cpan.org/~franckc/Net-Riak-0.05/

2) Andy Gross made added some more flashiness to the Riak Python client.

Latest changes are here --->  http://pypi.python.org/pypi/riak/1.1.1

3) Basho announced a new webinar called "Schema Design for Riak." This
one will be a great resource for anyone looking to gain some insight
from several members the core Riak team on how to understand your
schema, plan more efficient queries, and structure your data when
writing an application against Riak.

Blog post and registration here --->
http://blog.basho.com/2010/06/30/free-webinar---schema-design-for-riak---july-8-@-2pm-eastern/

4) justinsheehy and kstt had a great conversation in #riak about the
state of large file support in Riak and what the current limitations
are.

Gist here ---> http://gist.github.com/461387

5) Q --- How much memory does the Riak generated key take usually take
up? this is for planning purposes, on using Bitcask and #of keys per
node. For instance, if I don't specify a key, and have RIak generate
one for me. (from danoyoung via #riak)

    A --- The funcition that generates the key is here --->
http://hg.basho.com/riak/src/tip/apps/riak_core/src/riak_core_util.erl#cl-126
 Also this conversation form a few weeks back --
http://gist.github.com/438065 --- has some useful information.

6) Q ---How can I do a mapred call over more than one bucket? What I
want to achieve is to grab both a record and its relations in one go,
is that possible at all? (from mauritslamers via #riak)

   A --- Running MapReduce over items in more than one bucket is
straighforward. Simply send whatever bucket/key pairs you wish to the
query. However, if the data in your different buckets is formatted
differently this may require a carefully-crafted map function.

As for the second question, it's a bit trickier without having more
context. In Riak, you can get everything linked from an object by
specifying a link query to get everything linked from said object.

For starters, I would check out this section on the Riak Wiki if you
haven't already done so --->
http://wiki.basho.com/display/RIAK/REST+API#RESTAPI-Linkwalking