Conflict Resolution

Justin Sheehy justin at basho.com
Tue Jul 13 13:20:33 EDT 2010

Hello, Misha.

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Misha Gorodnitzky <misaka at pobox.com> wrote:

> From doing a little testing, the last value in a multipart document is
> the first, so "Thursday" in this case, can we assume that this will
> always be the case? And is it a good idea to base conflict resolution
> on this?

It is not really a good idea to base conflict resolution on the order
that Riak presents the siblings.  While in simple cases you may see
predictable behavior, there is no guarantee of determinism in the
order they'll be stored in.

I suggest instead that if you need an interesting conflict resolution
strategy, you might do well to store the information needed for that
strategy explicitly in the object along with the content.

I hope that this helps.  Please do ask more if this doesn't clear it up for you.

-Justin