Best way to back-up riak

Justin Sheehy justin at basho.com
Tue Jul 27 10:03:22 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Alan McConnell <alanmc at swingvine.com> wrote:

> I'm curious about this as well.  Say I have a ten node cluster.  Could I
> just schedule a midnight copy of each bitcask data directory every night,
> then restore to another ten node cluster by dropping one of each data
> directories on each new node?  How close does the timing needs to be?  What
> if the data directory snapshots were taken seconds or minutes apart?

While Basho does provide a product including features that make
whole-datacenter failure much less of a problem (by fully replicating
to a cluster in another location) I will answer assuming you have only
a single cluster.

The timing doesn't have to be perfectly synchronized, but you should
try to make it as close as is practical just so that you have a good
way to judge what is contained in a given backup.  If a storage (put)
operation occurs in an interval between single-node backups, it will
be present in the restored cluster when requested (and repopulated via
read-repair) as long as it was in at least one of the nodes.

-Justin