Riak Recap for 6/4 - 6/6

Mark Phillips mark at basho.com
Mon Jun 7 13:15:24 EDT 2010

Afternoon, Evening, Morning -

Today's Recap, in a word: Awesome!

Too many topics to list. Grab a beer and enjoy -

Mark-

Community Manager
Basho Technologies
wiki.basho.com
twitter.com/pharkmillups

-----

Riak Recap for 6/4 - 6/6

1) crucially and seancribbs had a brief convo in #riak about how
Bitcask handles HEAD requests.

Get the Gist here ---> http://gist.github.com/428840

2) seancribbs and lypanov had a great exchange in #riak that started
with the question, "Is there any good reason to use Cassandra rather
than riak?" and ended with some praise for benblack. This one is not
to be missed!

Gist here ---> http://gist.github.com/428849

3) Q --- Is it possible to export buckets between clusters? (from
theriffer via #riak)

    A --- There is no native support for this. However, you could list
all the keys in a bucket and do a GET    from cluster A and a PUT to
cluster B.

4) benblack and lypanov had a very brief convo about potentially using
range queries in riak.

Get at it here ---> http://gist.github.com/428875

5)  Q ---  Any plans to use v8 [as a javascript engine instead of
Spidermonkey]? ( from lypanov via #riak)

     A --- Spidermonkey was chosen because v8's memory model is quite
poor unless you're using it exactly like Chrome. We actually tried
that first and it was a dead end.

6) I added @jimpick's "JSCouch-Riak"  to the list of Community
Projects on the Riak Wiki. This thing is fantastic! Check it out if
you haven't yet done so...

On Github ---> http://github.com/jpick/riak-jscouch

On basho wiki--->
https://wiki.basho.com/display/RIAK/Community-Developed+Libraries+and+Projects

7)  Q --- You mentioned before that "link query is just a nice
shorthand for a map phase"... Are there any examples I can look at, to
see what that map phase might look like? I'm looking at
'riak_kv_wm_link_walker.erl' but I can't figure out what's going on,
or how to translate that into a map phase. (from scootsm via #riak)

     A --- Link walking queries use
riak_kv_wm_link_walker:mapreduce_linkfun by default. This setting can
be changed on a per-bucket basis by setting the 'linkfun' property of
the bucket" to support link extraction from objects with an arbitrary
storage format. You can see this in action here:

http://hg.basho.com/riak/src/tip/apps/riak_kv/src/riak_kv_wm_link_walker.erl#cl-156

8) @rklophaus is talking all things Riak at the Berlin Buzzwords conf. today.

Slides from his first talk are here --->
http://www.slideshare.net/rklophaus/riak-from-small-to-large

9) A Riak Tshirt was spotted in Germany on 6/4.  http://twitpic.com/1trbgf

That puts us in the UK, Germany, India and Sweden in the past two
weeks alone! Anyone else want to wear some Riak? Shoot me an email and
tell me what you're up to!

10) Basho hosted a webinar this past Friday on best practices for
benchmarking. For those of you who weren't able to join us, @siculars
wrote up some great notes.

Get at them here --->
http://siculars.posterous.com/notes-from-the-basho-webinar-on-benchmarking