Riak Bug Tracker

Antony Falco tony at basho.com
Sun Mar 14 20:31:18 EDT 2010

Stephen --

I think we understand your concerns and really appreciate your
involvement with open source Riak.

Just to clarify, Riak EnterpriseDS is a blend of some features and
advanced support with SLAs, not just a bunch of valuable features
"arbitrarily" held back.  While this is still technically an open-core
licensing model (OCLM) it differs from most OCLM offerings in that it
allows us to push many more features _and_ support hours into the open
source community

  It also underscores an oversimplification some make that holding
back features is categorically BAD but holding back support is
categorically GOOD.  Both are business models defined by what value
they hold back and for which they charge users of software.  (I am
intentionally ignoring NoSQL-as-a-service companies here because the
differences are not germaine to the point you raised.)

In my experience,  support-only companies would never be as aggressive
about answering questions on the riak-users list  as we are -- note
how fast Rusty and Sean responded today to questions (on a Sunday no
less).    Look at our response times in general to questions on Riak-
users -- mine aside, of course.  Our calculated decision to productize
a blend of some features and some support allows us to offer more of
both to the community for free.  More companies should do this.

There is an economic component to our choice as well.  Support-only
companies scale much differently than our approach with OCLM and
require a LOT more capital, usually from those stalwarts of
benevolence, venture capitalists.

Support-only models make money not off subscription-based licenses but
off of support.   Support staff who focus solely on customers soon
outnumber developers,.  Support companies give away their software for
free then look for ways to "monetize the community."  We are under no
such pressure.   We don't market to our open source users.   We don't
have to.   We are not under pressure from outside investors because of
our choices.

At Basho we are 19 partners (we believe the idea of "founder" in open
source software companies is silly and corrosive to the community ),
of which 15 of us are developers.  We are self-funded mainly, though
we have had critical help from some angels interested in open source
software and scaling infrastructure.  The other projects in NoSQL are
either venture-funded or subsumed under large public corporations or
licensed under AGPL (or all three!).  Does anyone feel safer with a
company 51+% owned by venture or who answers to Wall Street?

Contrary to your fears about us setting some sort of enterprise trap
"even if [our] intentions were benevolent,"  Basho is getting more
open with every release.

We started building Riak two years ago and open sourced it in August.
Since then, the open source code base has grown at many times the rate
of the enterpriseDS code base.  We chose the apache license for its
open nature.  We have plenty of companies (like EA) who use Riak open
source.  In addition, we run the EnterpriseDS for Startups program --
startups pay us whatever they can for features  _and_ Advanced Support.

Companies that disingenuously enter into open-source licensing
arrangements and engage a community of users will fail.   The users
will figure that out soon enough.   I respect your concerns and
believe that part of participation in a community is not just
respecting opposing ideas but encouraging them.   I ask only that you
show us the reciprocal respect of commenting on our actual actions,
not asking us to defend ourselves against some conjectural future evil
doings.

Please keep contributing ideas and questions and otherwise actively
engaging with Riak.   It is perhaps a quaint notion nowadays but we
believe dissenting views strengthen communities.

Tony Falco
Basho Technologies
m:  617-417-4482