Multiple clusters, same box

Grant Schofield grant at basho.com
Wed May 12 18:08:29 EDT 2010

In order to run multiple nodes on a host, and consequently multiple clusters, you will need to edit the vm.args and app.config for each embedded node  (an embedded node being a copy of the rel/riak directory you built). For each of these nodes you will need to change the "-name riak at 127.0.0.1" setting in etc/vm.args to something like "-name nodeX at 127.0.0.1"  where X is the node number. In the etc/app.config you will need to change all of the port settings  (handoff_port, pb_port, and web_port) so that they are unique to each node.

This will allow you to start multiple nodes. Once a node is running you can use the "riak-admin join" to have it join another node and form a cluster.

Thanks,
Grant Schofield
Developer Advocate
Basho Technologies