Unable to ping riak node from connected Erlang process

Chris Hicks silent_vendetta at hotmail.com
Fri May 14 22:41:46 EDT 2010

I've been following the directions on this page to start getting a feel for Riak to see if I will want to use it for a project of mine. I successfully started the Erlang console with the path set to the riak client directory, meaning code:which(riakc_pb_socket) works properly. As does the start_link part of that tutorial.

However when I enter the following command:

riakc_pb_socket:ping(Pid).

I get the following error:

** exception exit: {noproc,{gen_server,call,[<0.42.0>,{req,rpbpingreq}]}}
     in function  gen_server:call/2

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 and Erlang R13B03. Any ideas?