Riak Recap for 5/14 - 5/16

Mark Phillips mark at basho.com
Mon May 17 12:18:00 EDT 2010

Morning, Afternoon, Evening -

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Another action packed recap for today! Some wisdom from #riak, a Riak
GUI tool written in Java, some Riak/PHP slides, a data model blog
post, some wiki additions, and a pointer to a new Basho Podcast.

Enjoy -

Mark

Community Manager
Basho Technologies
wiki.basho.com
twitter.com/pharkmillups

-----

Riak Recap for 5/14 - 5/16

1) Q --- Is getting a list of all keys in a bucket a function of the
bucket size or all keys in all buckets? (from crucially via #riak)

    A --- There are some nuances based on what backend you are using,
but list_keys is primary a function of all the keys in the bucket.

2) Q --- Does the spec for ripple run for anyone else in rails 3? I'm
getting some m-m-mega dump. rspec barfs on:
ripple/ripple/spec/ripple/persistence_spec.rb:29:in `to_json'  (from
scootsm via #riak)

    A --- That might be bug. If it persists, please take a moment and
file it here -- > http://github.com/seancribbs/ripple/issues

3) argv0 and duiod had a great convo about Riak benchmarks, Bitcask, and Inno.

Gisted here --- > http://gist.github.com/403923

4) A few of you had asked about a publicly available "GUI" for
managing a Riak DB... I learned about a "Java program with GUI to
browse and update a Riak database" over the weekend that might be of
interest to you.  (Big thanks to Harmen Wessels for releasing this!)

Download it here --->http://bitbucket.org/harmen/riak-admin/

Also added to the Wiki here (under "Other") --- >
https://wiki.basho.com/display/RIAK/Community-Developed+Libraries+and+Projects

5) Frank Denis (@jedisct1) posted a piece over the weekend entitled
"Choosing a NoSQL data store according to your data set" that is a
good read. Cassandra, Riak, and MongoDB (amongst others) are detailed.

Post here --->http://00f.net/2010/choosing-a-nosql-data-store-according-to-your-data-set

6) Basho's own Jon Meredith presented on Riak recently at the Front
Range PHP User group. His slides were just leaked onto the internet.
Basho is investigating this leak.

In the mean time, check them out here --->
http://www.frontrangephp.org/component/content/article/48-presentations/141-using-riak-with-php

7) We posted another podcast to the Basho Blog on Friday. This one
clocks in at around 22 minutes and features Justing Sheehy and
Benjamin Black talking about Eventual Consistency and how you should
plan for it.

Check it our here --->
http://blog.basho.com/2010/05/14/planning-for-eventual-consistency/

8) We added a page on the Wiki entitled "Innostore Configuration and
Tuning" under Best Practices.

Check it out here --->
https://wiki.basho.com/display/RIAK/Innostore+Configuration+and+Tuning