Memory Utilization

Sean Cribbs sean at basho.com
Wed May 26 22:13:27 EDT 2010

Riak's usage of memory primarily depends on the backend you choose.  Innostore, for example, has a configurable buffer pool (cache) which can help you limit the memory footprint.  Bitcask, our most recently released backend, keeps only a hash mapping keys to file/offset in memory (with the value only on disk), so you could store thousands of keys per node without noticing much.

Outside of the backend, Riak generally only needs enough RAM to have copies of objects in transit -- either being written or read.  If you see it using too much RAM, there are some flags to the Erlang VM that can be tweaked.

Sean Cribbs <sean at basho.com>
Developer Advocate
Basho Technologies, Inc.
http://basho.com/