Riak Recap for 5/26 - 5/27

Mark Phillips mark at basho.com
Fri May 28 12:32:30 EDT 2010

Afternoon, Evening, Morning to all -

Here is a great recap to lead you into the weekend: some great
information from #riak, a pointer to a new Riak preso, Riak across the
Pond, and a few other worthwhile tidbits.

Enjoy -

Mark

Community Manager
Basho Technologies
wiki.basho.com
twitter.com/pharkmillups

-----

Riak Recap for 5/26 - 5/27

1) One of the best conversations we've had a in while in #riak went
down on Wednesday. If you are interested in hinted handoff, partition
tolerance, and large clusters, grab yourself an ale (or a cupcake, if
that's your thing) and cozy up to this Gist --->

http://gist.github.com/417326

2) Q --- Is it possible to limit Riak's memory footprint? Just trying
to understand what drives Riak's memory usage. (from wolfelwlu via
#riak)

    A --- You can use Erlang's os_mon to trigger warnings but not hard
limits. Also, when using the Innostore backend, you can limit the
buffer pool size which effectively limits memory consumption.

3 ) Jon Meredith presented on Riak a few days back at Gluecon. It's a
great basic overview of Riak and his slides are pretty nifty, so if
you have a few minutes, check it out.

Slides here --->  http://www.slideshare.net/jonmeredith/riak-in-ten-minutes

Added to the Riak Wiki here --->
https://wiki.basho.com/display/RIAK/Recommended+Resources

4) @russelldb will be doing an introductory Riak session at Leeds
BarCamp this Saturday.

More info here ---> http://barcamp.org/BarCamp-Leeds-2010

5) There is a new post up on the Basho Blog all about what we learned
from the Riak Fast Track.

Check it out here if you haven't already --->
http://blog.basho.com/2010/05/27/riak-fast-track-revisited/

6) Anyone going to Open Source Bridge next week in Portland? Basho
will be there, represented by yours truly. I'll be there helping to
spread the Word of Riak and the Open Source Gospel. Shoot me a message
it you'll be around and i'll buy you a beer.

More info at ---> http://opensourcebridge.org/