Basho Switching to git/GitHub for Riak Development

Mark Phillips mark at basho.com
Mon Oct 25 10:57:49 EDT 2010

Hey All,

Mark here.

As of this morning the Basho Development Team has switched to using
git and GitHub for the development of Riak and all other Basho
software.  Up until now we have used hg/Bitbucket and mirrored all
repos over to github.com/basho. That is now reversed, and the mirror
now points bitbucket.com/basho.

Why? There are several reasons, the primary of which is that GitHub,
the application, lends itself to more collaboration when developing
open source software. Again, this was a decision made on the basis of
community development; technically-speaking we were satisfied with
what Bitbucket offered.

I'll be writing a blog post that will appear in about a week or so
with some more details on why we made the switch. If you have any
questions between now and then, don't hesitate to ask.

One issue that some of you might run into: building Riak will now
require having git installed. If you don't have it, you can download
it here ---> http://git-scm.com/

Thanks,

Mark

Community Manager