Riak Recap for Oct. 25 - 26

Mark Phillips mark at basho.com
Wed Oct 27 16:52:10 EDT 2010

Afternoon, Evening, Morning to All,

We have ourselves a great recap from the last few days: New slides,
meetups, blog posts, updated code and some excellent Gists.

Enjoy!

Mark

Community Manager
Basho Technologies
wiki.basho.com
twitter.com/pharkmillups

----

Riak Recap for Oct. 25 - 26

1) For anyone in or around the Boulder, CO area: There will be a Riak
Tech Talk happening on Wednesday, Nov.10th at the Pivotal Labs
Offices.  Basho hackers Dave Smith (@dizzyd) and Jon Meredith
(@jmeredith) will be giving several talks.

More details and registration info here ---> http://plancast.com/p/2rtv

2) Basho hacker Scott Fritchie (@slfritchie) posted slides and one
awesome photo from the presentation he gave at the Ruby Users of
Minnesota Meeting on Monday night.

Slides here ---> http://www.snookles.com/scott/rum/

3) Last reminder about tomorrow's Riak Meetup in the Bay Area. It starts at 7.

Info here ---> http://www.meetup.com/San-Francisco-Riak-Meetup/calendar/15185619/

4) The guys at GitHub posted a short blurb on their blog about our
switch to GitHub.

Post here ---> http://github.com/blog/736-basho-moves-riak-to-github

My post is still forthcoming, btw...

5)  Jeremiah Peschka wrote a post called "Foursquare and MongoDB: What
If." From the post: "Let’s play a “what if” game. What if Foursquare
wasn’t using MongoDB? What if they were using something else?"

Read here ---> http://facility9.com/2010/10/26/foursquare-and-mongodb-what-if

6) jonas11235, seancribbs and bingledac had a great conversation in
#riak around MapReduce and caching.

Gist here ---> http://gist.github.com/649848

7) notbehn and seancribbs had a quick chat about updating values in Riak.

Gist here ---> http://gist.github.com/649858

8) Q --- What's a good way to mock out a Riak backend for unit
testing? I'm using the erlang http client.

    A --- Your best bet is to start with the ETS backend.

Info on how to configure the backends is here --->
http://wiki.basho.com/display/RIAK/Configuration+Files

9) chids and seancribbs had a brief exchange that started with "So
with Riak Search being in an "early stage" what's the risk of it
affecting Riak?
I.e. can I run Riak Search and expect it not to mess with the basic
K/V store in case of any problems/bugs?"

Gist here ---> http://gist.github.com/649894

10) nfo and seancribbs had a short chat in #riak about vector clock
behavior in Riak.

Gist here ---> http://gist.github.com/649889

11) Scott M. Likens (a.k.a. 'Damm') updated the Riak cookbook for the
EngineYard Appcloud to support Riak Search.

Repo here ---> github.com/damm/ey-riak

Thanks, Scott!