Riak Recap for Sept. 29-30

Mark Phillips mark at basho.com
Fri Oct 1 13:11:15 EDT 2010

Morning, Evening, Afternoon to all,

For the last recap in September we have: a Riak job, a slide deck (in
German!), some great content from #riak and an upcoming appearance in
Denmark.

Enjoy, and see you in October.

Mark

Community Manager
Basho Technologies
wiki.basho.com
twitter.com/pharkmillups

----

Riak Recap for Sept. 29-30

1) The awesome team at Sonian is looking for a "software developers
who are also sysadmins." Here is your chance to work with chef, ruby,
clojure, ec2 and, of course, Riak.

Get in touch with @michaelahale, @mdcarruthers, @dysinger, @dje or
@sonian if interested.

Original tweet here ---> http://twitter.com/michaelahale/status/25999997571

2) For all our German hackers, a slide deck called "Datenmodellierung
mit Riak" appeared this morning.

Check them out here --->
http://www.slideshare.net/derfred/datenmodellierung-mit-riak

3) Q --- If I want to retrieve only certain number of keys of a
bucket, is there a way I can do it? Something like 'limit' that I can
add to this URL: GET /riak/test?keys=true&props=True (from kk via
#riak)

    A --- You'll need to use a MapReduce job for this or, in certain
cases, a creative use of link walking might accomplish it.

MapReduce ---> http://wiki.basho.com/display/RIAK/MapReduce ,
http://wiki.basho.com/display/RIAK/Loading+Data+and+Running+MapReduce+Queries

Links and Link Walking ---> http://wiki.basho.com/display/RIAK/Links ,
 http://wiki.basho.com/display/RIAK/Links+and+Link+Walking

4) xinit and pharkmillups had a quick chat about multi data center
replication in Riak.

Gist here ---> http://gist.github.com/606467

5) allen, seancribbs, drev1 and benblack had a brief conversation that
started with "For the best performance, would you recomment
replication factor 2?"

Gist here ---> http://gist.github.com/606479

6) Reminder: Basho VP of Engineering Andy Gross will be at JAOO in
Aarhus, Denmark to talk about Riak.

Detail here --->
http://jaoo.dk/aarhus-2010/presentation/Riak:%20%20Past,%20Present,%20and%20Future

Note: If you're in the area, make sure to show up as he might have
some Riak stickers and t shirts - if you're extra nice, he might even
autograph something for you!