bitcask 42?

Mojito Sorbet mojitotech at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 15:51:59 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 09:24 -0700, Dan Reverri wrote:

>  Projects will typically define an upper bound for a cluster's size
> based on available datacenter space, available power, cost, etc.
> Choosing a ring_creation_size value based on this upper bound will
> allow you to start small and grow into your cluster.

Ok, but these days there is no fixed size "data center".  If I need more
resources I can add them dynamically from Amazon or an equivalent cloud
provider.  If I accidentally create the next Facebook and it keeps
growing, it would be nice not to have to backup and restore the whole
thing as it grows into multiple hundreds of terrabytes, especially
considering the downtime required.

What is the penalty for making the ring size a lot bigger than the
initial number of nodes would require?