Designing Your Buckets

Jeremiah Peschka jeremiah.peschka at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 07:57:47 EDT 2010

Based on my experience, you're on the right track.

In addition to your main 'entity' buckets, you'll want to create index
buckets that you use to speed lookups and create links back to the entity
buckets.

e.g. If you have a People bucket that is a nested record for a person with a
mailing address, you might want to create some kind of States bucket with
links to a ZipCodes bucket with further links to the People bucket. This way
you can do link traversal from a state -> zip code -> person.

To perform aggregations, you can use MapReduce. Using buckets and link
walking can make it very easy to perform operations that closely mimic index
seeks.

Someone correct me if I've gone completely off the deep end on this one :)

Jeremiah Peschka
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
MCITP: Database Developer, DBA
614.515.0727