Riak Recap for Oct. 19

Mark Phillips mark at basho.com
Wed Oct 20 15:35:13 EDT 2010

Afternoon, Evening, Morning to all,

Here is a short recap from yesterday.

Enjoy!

Mark

Community Manager
Basho Technologies
wiki.basho.com
twitter.com/pharkmillups

----

Riak Recap for Oct 19

1) Riak support hit Akka master a few days ago.

Relevant commits can be found here --->
http://github.com/jboner/akka/commits/master

Tweet here ---> http://twitter.com/scottclasen/status/27452956026

2) For anyone attending Ruby on Rials EU or who happens to be in
Amsterdam tomorrow night, GitHub and Basho are throwing a drink-up.
Riak knowledge will be there in the form of @technoweenie, @roidrage
and @frank06.

Details here ---> http://github.com/blog/735-github-meetup-in-amsterdam

3) Anyone looking for a sample app that uses Riak Search should check
out "Wriaki." Wriaki is a Riak-backed wiki written by Basho Dev Bryan
Fink (@hobbyist).

Source code for Wriaki is here ---> http://bitbucket.org/basho/wriaki/src
A few details on the Search integration here --->
http://bitbucket.org/basho/wriaki/src/d2334be214ce/README#cl-74

4) Q --- When "put"-ing data, does the vtag / last_mod /
last_mod_usecs matter? I recall that vtag is simply there for vclock
context, in the event of siblings. last_mod's I'm not sure if riak
asserts its own world view on those fields, or if we set those values
then riak will respect it? ( from  acts_as_ via #riak)

    A --- Those do not matter to Riak. It'll set its own last modified.

5) seancribbs, traceback0, jdmaturen, dizzyd, jnewland and Tv had a
great conversation in #riak that started with "Any information of
someone using Riak at scale?" This is long but is well worth is as it
touches on various databases and, more importantly, the overall
importance of capacity planning regardless of your DB.

Gist here ---> http://gist.github.com/637089