Inline fields in riak search

Rusty Klophaus rusty at basho.com
Fri Oct 22 08:43:30 EDT 2010

Hi Jebu,

Inline fields are a partially implemented feature that we hope to expose
soon, but are currently not supported. The basic idea, once released, is
that marking a field in your schema as inline changes the way that field is
stored in the index, allowing you to use the inline field to quickly filter
results at the expense of a larger index.

A good use case for this is a low cardinality field like "gender". Indexing
on gender is useless, since roughly 50% will be male and 50% will be female.
If you define gender as an inline field, Search will store the gender as a
property in the index for other fields, and then rewrite the query
appropriately. This is an advanced feature, but one that could lead to
significant query performance boosts depending on the data model.

Again, inline fields are not yet supported, but this is the general idea.

Best,
Rusty