Riak Recap for Oct 20-21

Mark Phillips mark at basho.com
Fri Oct 22 16:26:49 EDT 2010

Afternoon, Evening, Morning to all,

Here's your Friday Recap to usher in the weekend. We've got blogs,
meetups, upcoming presentations, slide decks, new library releases and
much more.

Enjoy!

Mark

Community Manager
Basho Technologies
wiki.basho.com
twitter.com/pharkmillups

----

Riak Recap for Oct 20-21

1) Riak has been slated for future support in Spring Data Project.

Blog post with some details here ---> http://bit.ly/azggPx

2) Rusty Klophaus posted the slides from his recent "Riak:From Small
to Large" talk he gave at Strange Loop.

Slides are here --->
http://www.slideshare.net/rklophaus/riak-from-small-to-large-strangeloop

3) For those of you in the Bay Area, the Oct. Riak Meetup will be
happening Thursday, 10/28. @kevsmith is flying across the country to
give a whirlwind tour of MapReduce, and we are doing something called
a "use case" review which is sure to be action-packed. Hope you can
make it!

Details here --->
http://www.meetup.com/San-Francisco-Riak-Meetup/calendar/15185619/

4) Wilson MacGyver (@wmacgyver) will be giving a preso tomorrow
(10/23) at the "1DevDay Detroit" event. This should be full of awesome
and worth it if you're in the area.

Details here ---> http://sites.google.com/site/1devday/

5) Ripple 0.8.2 gems release is now available

All the release-related goodness can be found here --->
http://rubyflow.com/items/4694

5.1) In related news, looks like Sean is about 60% done with a PB
interface extension

Check it out here ---> http://ow.ly/2XWDj

6) Q --- What's the right way to make sure that all the nodes in a
riak cluster are up and running? 'riak-admin ringready'?  (from misaka
via #riak)

    A --- You're better off using "riak ping" on all nodes.

7) Basho CTO Justin Sheehy posted a blog called, "Why I Am Excited
About Riak Search." This is a great piece and if you haven't had the
chance to read it yet you definitely should.

Post here ---> http://blog.basho.com/2010/10/20/why-i-am-excited-about-riak-search/

8)  Q --- if a node is rebooted, will it load all keys of bitcask data
to memory or load on demand? (from allen_ via #riak)

     A --- The former. It stores the key lists in "hint files" Rarely
will it have to process a whole data file for its keys.

9) We added Alexander Sicular (@siculars) as a Community Editor on the
Riak Wiki.

You can see his name in flashing lights here --->
http://wiki.basho.com/display/RIAK/Contributors#Contributors-CommunityEditors

Thanks, Alexander!

10) Q --- Is 32-bit Riak a Bad Idea? (from rasputnik via #riak)

      A --- 64-bit is preferred, but there's nothing wrong with 32-bit
if that's what you have.

There is some more info on the wiki about what we recommend for
hardware ---> https://wiki.basho.com/display/RIAK/Hosting+and+Server+Configuration

11) traceback0, benblack, seancribbs, bingledac and others had a
lengthy and detailed convo pertaining to bitcask, innostore and the
perils of swapping (among other things).

Gist here ---> http://gist.github.com/641257