RiakSearch Reached Its Limit and gave below Error ..

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger at erlang-solutions.com
Sun Oct 31 05:38:42 EDT 2010

It looks as if it is the ets:new/2 operation that fails due to system_limit.

Like with the number of concurrently running processes, the system limit
is by default pretty low (1400 tables), but can be increased by setting the
OS environment variable ERL_MAX_ETS_TABLES.

Now, I have no idea if Riak Search is supposed to need tons of ets
tables. I know of situations where reaching the ets system limit can be a
symptom of growing backlog in the system - e.g. if mnesia is falling behind,
since every pending mnesia transaction keeps at least one ets table for
the temporary transaction store.

BR,
Ulf W