Riak Recap for 9/13 - 9/14

Mark Phillips mark at basho.com
Wed Sep 15 14:23:08 EDT 2010

Morning, Afternoon, Evening to all,

For today's Recap: New wiki pages, new slides, gists, a spreadsheet and more.

Enjoy,

Mark

Community Manager
Basho Technologies
wiki.basho.com
twitter.com/pharkmillups

----

Riak Recap 9/13 - 9/14

1) You may remember a few weeks back on the list I asked "Who is Using
Riak"  ---  http://lists.basho.com/pipermail/riak-users_lists.basho.com/2010-August/001869.html
. The resulting page went live yesterday.

Check it out here --->
http://wiki.basho.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=1802621

Thanks to everyone who stepped up to offer information on their Riak
usage. And, of course, it's never to late to be a part of the page.
Let me know if you and yours have something that should be added.

2) Sean Cribbs presented Riak at the KC Ruby meetup last night. As
usual his slides are exceptional.

Check them out here --->
http://www.slideshare.net/seancribbs/introduction-to-riak-and-ripple-kcrb

Also, based on this tweet, it would appear that things went well --->
http://twitter.com/cebernard/statuses/24533192230

For those of you who haven't seen yakriak, it's really something
special. Check it out here ---> http://github.com/seancribbs/yakriak

3) grantr kicked off a lengthy chat in #riak with seancribbs,
benblack, and jdmaturen when he asked "Anyone working on a riak
storage driver for rabbitmq?"

Gist here ---> http://gist.github.com/581081

4)  Q --- Any word on future riak core posts from kevin smith? (from
technoweenie via #riak)

     A --- More posts are planned but, sadly, there is no specific
date for their release.

 For those of you who haven't had a chance to read it, here is the
first Riak Core post ---> http://weblog.hypotheticalabs.com/?p=539

5)  Q --- On the Links and Link Walking page it says Riak can
substitute for a graph DB "as long as the number of links is kept
reasonably low." What "number of links" does this refer to? The total
number of links in the whole Riak cluster? or the number of outgoing
links on any given document? (from pjstadig via #riak)

     A -- The number of links on any given document. (I've updated the
wiki to clarify that.)

6) j2043 kicked off a brief but valuable conversation with bingledac
and benblask when he asked "With Riak 0.12 Is there an upper limit on
the number of keys in a bucket? "

Gist here ---> http://gist.github.com/581141

7) Q --- Anyone have a link for the memory usage formula based on
number keys? (via wrecked)

    A --- A while back Jeremy Hinegardner (know on IRC as "copius")
offered up a capacity planning document that he put together. We
tweaked it to reflect the recent memory usage enhancements to bitcask.
Here it is --->

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ak4OBkABJPsxdEowYXc2akxnYU9xNkJmbmZscnhaTFE&hl=en&authkey=CMHw8tYO

Thanks, Jeremy!