riak/riak_core and memory caching

Sean Cribbs sean at basho.com
Tue Apr 5 21:59:19 EDT 2011

Mike,

Riak has no built-in caching of keys, but Bitcask (which is the default storage engine) will use up as much filesystem cache as you can give it, effectively giving you in-memory caching without having to specifically implement it.  If you want something a bit more explicit, Innostore (which uses Embedded InnoDB) lets you set how much RAM you want to consume for caching disk pages.  In general, we have found Bitcask to be performant under more production conditions than Innostore.

Whether you need to cache items in your application is a different concern, largely based on your performance needs. I'd suggest modeling and benchmarking typical requests from your application to determine whether you need a caching layer between your app and Riak.

Sean Cribbs <sean at basho.com>
Developer Advocate
Basho Technologies, Inc.
http://basho.com/